1. Objective peace – between you and God.
We are separated from God on account of sin.
When we understand that we are sinners cut off from God and ask God for forgiveness and ask Jesus to be our Lord and Savior – an objective & subjective peace enters our life. Now the subjective peace we may not feel moment by moment or day to day – as in when we have an auto-accident or sin (see below), however the objective peace is permanent.
This BTW is a pre-req to everything else.
2. Subjective peace – I need to think more about this.
3. We have holes in our souls and when these holes leak – emptiness results. (This is also the inner vacuum thing.)
We try to fill these holes with one thing or another. Nothing lasts in any final sense. We move – graduate ? – from our material, worldly toys to people. People seem to fill the holes better than toys. Why? Because relationships flow and fill.
However relationships are also limited – Jesus and the Woman at the Well. The Samaritan Woman. She had a bunch of husbands.
3. So finite relationships do not fill in any lasting way, though they are better than our material, worldly toys. However a Relationship with God does fill.
4. Purpose: Yet there is still something more. God has so designed us to do good works that He has prepared for us. And by His design we will be likely restless until we pursue the attainment and completion of these good works. This will involve being the type of person that God meant for you to be, being who you were meant to be for (i.e. a person that God has called you to be with – assuming that that is His will for you) and being with some set of persons (circle of friends) that God has created for you … doing what you are: Ephesians 2:10 ~ doing – good works – what you are.*
“For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do” (~Ephesians 2:10).
Who are you? Do you know who you are? We cannot know ourselves fully. We can know ourselves enough so however and even if we feel that we do not know ourselves enough so in order to decide what to do with ourselves – well then – thankfully God knows us fully. And thats why He prepares stuff in advance.
“Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known” (1 Cor. 13:12).
By God’s design we will not have peace unless we take on the completion of the good works that He has prepared for us. This speaks to purpose in our lives – however purpose with a lower case ‘p’ – there is also Purpose.
5. And yet one more thing…
We must walk on a daily basis – side by side with God.
Are you lacking peace over some matter? Then do a review of whats happened in your life recently or whats going on in your life. Which direction are you walking and which direction is God walking? If there is sin, then you are likely without peace.
*We have to be care not to make good works or other people our God. No one can complete us – but God. CB2