Currently, I am going through Genesis doing my quiet times. I am also using Bruce Waltke commentary as a help. Waltke points out some interesting parallels (//) in the book.
I. Parallels between Adam & Noah
- Both worlds emerge from a watery chaos.
- Adam & Noah are both involved in special work with animals – Adam in naming and Noah in preserving
- Adam & Noah are both “farmers” in that they both work the ground.
- Adam sins by eating. Noah by drinking.
- The result of both their sins have to do with shame and nakedness.
- As a result of their sins, both have to be covered up by someone else.
- On account of Adam’s sin, humanity incurs judgment. On account of Noah’s sin, Canaan incurs judgment.
II. Parallels between the Creation and the Re-Creation (after Noah disembarks from the Ark)
- Both worlds get their starts from a watery chaos.
- God’s Spirit hovers over the surface of the deep. // God sends a wind over the waters to renew the earth.
- God divides the waters. // God regathers the waters.
- God separates the land from the waters. // The dry ground emerges and separates from the receding waters.
- The sky teems with birds. // The raven and the dove are sent out.
- Animals/creatures that move on the ground emerge. // Creatures that move on the ground emerge from the Ark.
- Humanity is blessed (“be fruitful”, “increase in number”, “fill the earth”, etc. Gen 1:28) // Humanity is blessed (“be fruitful”, “increase in number”, “fill the earth”, etc. Gen. 9:1-2)
III. Parallels between Noah and Lot
- Both are involved in sexual sin.
- God remembers the elect.
- God saves the entire family – physical salvation.
- Warnings do precede the judgment.
- God rains down judgment – water & fire
- Lot, like Noah finds grace in God’s eyes.
- Only one family escapes.
- Both Noah and Lot sin by getting drunk and further family sins follow.
IV. There are several genealogies that structure the sections of the book of Genesis.
There are others… but I think I’ll leave this be for now…
V. Abraham & Pharaoh episode // Abraham and King Abimilech episode.
VI. Abraham’s hospitality // Lot’s hospitality
VII. Sarai/h and Hagar runs – Gen. 16 // Gen. 21
- There is friction between Sarai and Hagar and Hagar runs away. // There is friction between Sarai and Hagar and Hagar is sent away.
- The angel of the Lord finds Hagar. // The angel of the Lord finds Hagar.
- Hagar is asked “…where have you come from, and where are you going?” // Hagar is asked “What is the matter, Hagar?”
- God tells Hagar that she will have numerous descendants. // God tells Hagar that Ishmael will become a great nation.
There is something touching about the story of Hagar. You cannot help but feel for her as your read. I sympathize with her more than with Sarah. God is always with them though… “God was with the boy as he grew up… ” ~ Gen. 21v.20
VII. [X] Abraham/Pharaoh // [Y] Abraham/Abimelech //[Z] Isaac/Abimelech (Gen. 26) episode
- [X//Z] Abraham goes to Egypt on account of a famine. // Isaac is about to go to Egypt on account of a famine;God stops him.
- [X//Z] Abraham “lied” about Sarah being his sister. // Abraham “lied” about Sarah being his sister.
- [Y//Z] Abraham “lied” about Sarah being his sister. // Isaac lies about Rebekah being his sister. ( = flashback scene btw)
- [X//Y//Z] Abraham’s ppl have conflicts with Lot’s ppl. // Abraham ppl have conflicts with Abimelech’s. // Isaac’s ppl have conflicts Abimelech’s.
- [Y//Z] Abraham makes a treaty with Abimelech and Philcol // Isaac makes a treaty with Abimelech, Ahuzzath and Philcol.
- [Y//Z] Well problems exist btwn Abraham’s ppl and Ahimelech’s. // Well problems exist between Isaac’s ppl and Abimelech’s ppl.
- [Y//Z] Beersheba is the location for some of these talks. // Beersheba is the location for some of these talks.And so on . . .