A friend asked me about the Sabbath to Sabbath issue mentioned in Isaiah. The following is my response. I could have done more research in replying… but anyway… here it is.
Let me begin by commenting on Isaiah 66:22-23 in this email and reply to the rest in other emails. You asked,
> what do understand if you read Isaiah 66:22-23 – the sabbath will be observe in the new heaven and earth?
Isaiah 66: 22-23 states the following:
22 “For as the new heavens and the new earth
that I make
shall remain before me, says the Lord,
so shall your offspring and your name remain.
23 From new moon to new moon,
and from Sabbath to Sabbath,
all flesh shall come to worship before me,
declares the Lord.
(1) Isaiah is using both, the expressions “new moon to new moon” and “Sabbath to Sabbath” as figure of speech to describe something happening continually.
– For example, when I say that I studied “day and night” for my exam, I do not mean literally day and night – 24 hours straight, but what I mean is continually.
Isaiah used this language because the Jews of his day would understand what it meant.
(2) In the New Heavens and the New Earth, we will not be worshiping God 1/7th of our time. We will be worshiping God all the time, everywhere. There are 24 x 7 = 168 hours in a week. We will worshiping God all of those 168 hours. In this world we have secular worldly work and duties to do 5/6 days a week. In the New Heavens and New Earth we will not have such work.
(3) We need to ask what the “new moon to new moon” meant. What does Isaiah mean by this? I know that David, Saul, etc., seemed to meet together for a mean on the New Moon. See 1 Samuel 20. If this verse is telling us that we must observe the Sabbath, then ought we also to observe the new moon also?
(4) Revelation 21: 23-25 describes the New Heaven and Earth in this way:
23 And the city has no need of the sun nor of the moon to give light to it, for the splendor and radiance (glory) of God illuminate it, and the Lamb is its lamp.
24 The nations shall walk by its light and the rulers and leaders of the earth shall bring into it their glory.
25 And its gates shall never be closed by day, and THERE SHALL BE NO NIGHT THERE.
~ If there will be no night, then how can one observe the Sabbath? I wonder if we will even sleep then. Our resurrected bodies will be changed and glorified so there may be no need for sleep.